Sunday 12 February 2012

brother of the bride part one


The pace of an Asian wedding is alarming.

It happens frighteningly fast. And no this isn't one of situations where you meet someone on the day of the wedding so leave your reservations at the door. Thanks.
In the space of a few months my sister is going to get married to her fiancé in a (I'm not going to lie) lavish ceremony. #inshallah

And now the prep is well underway, bridal magazines litter the house. Holiday requests are being worked out and names are being added to the guest list, in their hundreds. Yes hundreds.



So as brother of the bride where do I fit into all of this?

Well it's a family affair.

I have spent the last few weeks looking at various wedding invitations all of which feature Islamic art. And whilst I don't intend to offend or take away from the genre it is just a lot of patterns. Beautiful though they are.

Then there are venues. Venues are minefields. there are talks of entrances and stages and whether Lady Gaga has enough room to enter the room in an egg. all bases must be covered. although switch Lady Gaga for my Gran in a wheelchair...which kind of makes it less dramatic. But forget that there are STAGES. Eat your heart out VMAs.



Alongside I have to find an Asian outfit or a "sherwani". This has lead to endless Google searches featuring a high number of "couture houses" I'd never heard of that emerge from areas with a high population of ethnic minorities.

London. New York. Paris and erm Bradford?

I've also found that Lisa Scot Lee's brother is modelling said male couture. And yes I don't know what's more upsetting the fact his career has lead to this or the fact that I recognised him.

Although I harp on about what I'm going to wear my sister has just entered the room and showed me a wedding outfit that costs £7,000.

That's a brand new Fiat Panda.



Talking of cars I've yet to decide whether I'm going to "rent a car". If you're lost I'll enlighten you. It's become the norm. I won't say tradition for the young lads of family to hire a supercar for a siblings wedding. I'm not sure of the reason I can't explain but I do feel I may bow to the social pressure of it all. This is ironic because I drive a Mini and the only music I blast trough those speakers is when Adele is hitting the big notes.

It's going to be a steep learning curve. I'll keep you posted.

theguyinthebowtie

No comments:

Post a Comment