Sunday 1 January 2012

the window



Hello my name is Furqs and I'm a serial platonic friendship starter. O.k. that sounded better in my head. But I think I do have problem. It's an affliction that hopefully affects more than just me and that guy from "How I Met Your Mother". And obviously even he sorts himself out in the end. To clarify I'm not saying I'd like more people to dance that awkward dance it's just that it eases the social pressure of knowing you're not alone.

So how did I end up with several extra sisters, a few best friends and in some sort of weird and platonic "Big Love"; a couple of work wives?

Well in my opinion its social science at its finest. However Anthropologists are yet to define it exactly. in layman's terms it's that time when a man meets a woman and the mad dash that ensues to stop the window on a romantic relationship closing. I, along with every American sitcom call it The Window.

Ah yes. The Window.

The Window is an indeterminable amount of time. It may close on you when you least expect but rest assured. There's always a window. And unlike those self help books that harp on about windows of opportunity this is a window of...inopportunity. Or something wittier and to that effect.

Of course not all closed windows lead to friendship. Some windows of opportunity last the space of a night. The kind of night you see a beautiful group of ladies and decide to dance to break the ice rather than speak to them. Unless you're Usher this doesn't really work. Not that I've tried...



In the cases of really long windows the Ladies may think you have been dragging your feet and being Player. You know how it is bruv... But often it's just like Stevie Wonder (and later Blue featuring Stevie Wonder) sings in "Signed Sealed and Delivered" a simple case of being a fool and staying too long. And now it's too late. The Window is closed.



I know, heart breaking. I've morphed into a male Bridget Jones lamenting the state of modern relationships. But platonic relationships do have some benefits. Just not the obvious ones. For example your platonic friend may be first aid trained. Always handy if you're on a loveless meal and begin choking. Or more importantly they can get you discount at Topman. I'm sure you'll agree both of these things are vital.

I'm kidding. It's not just those very few perks of having a platonic friendship. I should also take this moment to clarify that not all my friendships with girls started with a view to having a conversation with my parents as to why I'm not marrying a Muslim (what can I say I'm a hopeless romantic). No, no sometimes you can genuinely meet yourself in female form and the thought of being anything other than friends with those ladies is so abhorrent you'd rather eat your own vomit.



Moving on and just in case I've crushed the hope of a fellow geek. I'd like to leave the blog on an optimistic note. I can of course only present to you data from popular culture.

Signed, sealed, delivered.

theguyinthebowtie


Tim and Dawn



Emma and Dexter



Ross and Rachel



Veer Zaara


No comments:

Post a Comment